Seeding, Fertilization, InstallationWe only use locally grown, top-quality seed & fertilizer for our Arizona climate.
Arizona Lawn Care | Summer Grass
As temperatures creep higher and summer nears, Arizona lawn care is kicking into full swing. Those who are new to our state might not be aware that Arizona lawn care is slightly different than other parts of the nation. Our dry, desert terrain and high temperatures make a few areas of the state unsuitable for grass. However in many areas, like here in the Phoenix area, grass can grow beautifully with the proper care.
Once the temperature hits 80 degrees, it’s time to start planning for your summer lawn. The most common summer grass planted in our state is Bermuda. This hearty grass withstands the intense summer sun and can maintain a vibrant green throughout the summer months and into the fall.
With a little patience and consistent watering, you’ll be on your way to a beautiful, lush Arizona lawn in no time. As outlined in GardenGuides.com, there are just a few steps needed for Arizona lawn care:
- Step 1: Select your Bermuda grass
- Step 2: Go through the yard and remove and rocks or plant roots. Turn the soil with a shovel or rototiller.
- Step 3: Lay a thick layer of compost over the soil to add nutrients.
- Step 4: Level out the planting area with a rake.
- Step 5: Spread the seeds with a push spreader or by hand. Cover the seeds with a layer of compost.
- Step 6: Consistently water the lawn, more often right after planting, tapering off after growth.
In Arizona, as the temperatures increase, watering should become more frequent. When Bermuda grass is planted, the following watering schedule is recommended:
- April – water every 7 days
- May – water every 5 days
- June – water every 6 days
- July – water every 6 days
- August – water every 5 days
- September – water every 4 days
- October – water every 6 days
When it comes to Arizona lawn care, there are some tricks of the trade that will help you have a beautiful, healthy lawn. Need some help? If you’d like to sink your toes in lush green grass in just a few months, just give us a call at J&D Lawn Service. We’ll make sure you have the perfect Arizona lawn!